Pok-ey bowl, Po-keh bowl, Poke Bowl – however you pronounce it, I think we can all agree on one thing: poke bowls are delicious! That’s why today, were going to show you just how easy it is to assemble one. This aesthetically-pleasing dish needs only a few ingredients: a protein source, a complex carbohydrate, a pickled ingredient, a fresh vegetable and/or fruit, and sauces of your choice.
For this recipe we went with tuna and shrimp, white rice and beans, pickled red cabbage, cucumbers and some special sauces with scallions as toppings. Although this insta-famous bowl takes some prep time, the end result is a very well-rounded, fresh, and nutritious meal.
- 85g shrimp
- 124g ahi yellowfin tuna
- 125g white rice
- pickled red cabbage
- Profusion Bean Blend
Ingredients for Tuna Marinade
- 2 tbsp low sodium soya sauce
- 1tbsp chopped garlic bits
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 lime
- ginger (to taste)
- 2 tbsp PC Hong Kong Soy, Sesame, Ginger Sauce
Ingredients for Shrimp Marinade
- 1/2 tbsp garlic black bean paste
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
We strongly recommend preparing the marinades min an hour in advance of meal time-the longer they sit in the sauces the better the taste!
1. Prepare two separate bowls for each protein source and marinade until the shrimp and tuna are well coated. Cover and set aside for later.
2. Bring water to a boil for white rice 1:1 ratio. Add in the rice and let it cook. While rice and beans are cooking, begin chopping cucumbers and scallions.
3. In a pan, sauté Profusion Blend on med heat with a pinch of salt until no longer frozen (if canned beans were chosen skip this step).
4. In separate pan, sauté marinated shrimps on med heat with a little more sesame oil to make sure they don’t stick (shrimps will be cooked when pink and tails are curled in).
5. Once rice/beans are ready (should be fluffy and not crunchy/soggy), place your portion of rice in a serving bowl.
6. Top with tuna, shrimp, cucumbers, red cabbage, Profusion Blend, and scallions.
Traditionally, each ingredient is placed around the bowl, besides one another so that the individual flavours are showcased.