If anyone is like me and has always wondered how a love for bagels could be so strong, well let me tell you, that love has grown tremendously after this recipe. These healthy bagel (yes, yes) are a great alternative to the conventional bagel found at the store, as there are far less ingredients used, and contain less calories than most bagels. There are a total of 7 ingredients in this recipe, and takes only thirty minutes to prepare. These bagels are a perfect mix of sweet and tasty, chewy and crunchy; they are perfect to be served to any member of the Astrofit family with no harm done, as long as it fits one’s macronutrients!
- 3 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 310ml warm water
- 125ml honey
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds (optional)
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, or in a large bowl using a wooden spoon, combine the flour, yeast and salt. Add the water, half of the honey (1/4 cup/60 ml) and the oil. Stir until a soft ball forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface or in the stand mixer for 5 minutes or until smooth.
2. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm, humid place for 30 minutes.
3. On a work surface, shape the dough into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 9-inch (23 cm) rope. To join the two ends together, slightly overlap them, then roll the seam back and forth using the palm of your hand. Set aside on a lightly floured surface and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 15 minutes.
4. With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Sprinkle each sheet with 1 tbsp of sesame seeds (optional).
5. In a large pot, bring 12 cups (3 litres) of water and the remaining honey to a boil. Poach 3 to 4 bagels at a time for 3 minutes or until slightly puffed, turning halfway through cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared sheets. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.
6. Bake one sheet at a time for 20 minutes or until the bagels are golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes
Keep an eye on the bagels while they are cooking because If you leave them in the oven for longer than 15 minutes, air pockets will form and you will lose the chewy texture, trust me , I learned this from experience!
(makes 12 bagels)
Total calories per serving: 179 calories